Building A SustaInable Life...

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Closet Cleaning

Blerg.

Today was closet-cleaning day. To be fair, it was more like laundry-catch-up day, and even that didn't get me very far... but tis the thought that counts, no?

At any rate, I'm finding myself inspired by the Johnson family of Mill Valley, California, a family who's been continually downsizing for the past three years, to the point where they now generate virtually zero waste (even with two young boys). With extremely pared-down wardrobes, minimal toys and toiletries, and cleverly-controlled kitchen gear, the family is living a minimalist life that nonetheless seems rich, and appears to be happier for it.

While I don't think I'm quite ready to make such a big leap (the Johnsons don't keep any books in the home, electing to get them all from the library, and choose not to display art or photographs), the thought of truly eliminating the excess is tempting. Having started with the kids' toys, part of me would love to give the same treatment to the closet. Being post-partum and between sizes, however, I reckon I should wait a while, at least until my future shopping trip to the attic. But perhaps there's a big purge to come in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment